Mesh Data Abstraction Library (MDAL) is a C++ library for handling unstructured mesh data released with MIT license. It provides a single data model for multiple supported data formats. MDAL is used by QGIS for data access for mesh layers.
You can use MDAL to load the following file formats:
- NetCDF: Generic format for scientific data. Examples can be found here
- GRIB: Format commonly used in meteorology. Examples can be found here
- XMDF: As an example, hydraulic outputs from TUFLOW modelling package
- DAT: Outputs of various hydrodynamic modelling packages (e.g. BASEMENT, HYDRO_AS-2D, TUFLOW)
- 3Di: 3Di modelling package formate based on CF Conventions